Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Roma day 2: Part 2


After the Vatican Museum we needed a little boost, so naturally we stumbled upon the best gelato place in Vatican City (shout out to my roommate Kara for being on top of things.) Maybe it was the second gelato of the day... and maybe I got two scoops...  but WHEN IN ROMA?! right? The pistachio flavor was divine and if my diet consists of only wine and gelato for the next 3 months I suppose I could manage. After our gelato break we went in search of the Trevi fountain, the Spanish steps, and of course souvenirs and scarves. We wandered by the Jewish ghetto and where the Popes used to flee the Vatican, which is by a beautiful canal.  Then we strolled by vendors and wound up at the Spanish steps! This was such an exhilarating moment that our group deemed it necessary to run as fast as possible up all of the steps (which are longer than they look) while humming the Rocky theme song. Val was the most set on this concept, but who doesn't like Rocky?! By the time we reached the top the sun was starting to set, and there was a mass going on in the Church a top the steps. Looking out over Rome, I was so grateful to be traveling and among such an amazing group of people. A couple of us went into the church and lit candles for our families and got the rosaries that we purchased earlier in the day blessed by a priest. It was the perfect way to end our "holy tourist day." 

Me, Val, and Amanda on the Spanish Steps.
Solo shot at sunset on top of the Spanish Steps after my divine moment.
Running up the Spanish steps... please look at my roommate Kara in her yellow Kate Middleton inspired skirt... so pumped all the time.
Bellisimo
After the Spanish Steps, we headed over to the Trevi Fountain, which was packed! I cannot imagine what it must be like during the summer and height of the tourist season. By the time we got there the sun had gone down. The fountain was gorgeous all lit up at night and of course I threw some money in and made a wish.

Val and I forcing smiles after a long touristy day at the Trevi fountain
Throwing them coins!
After walking around all day and my Roman diet of gelato I was hungry. We went on a mission to find a cheap delicious meal. This meant we had to get far away from the Trevi fountain and the tourist attractions. Luckily, we stumbled on this amazing restaurant called La Carbonara. Of course, I ordered the carbonara which was awesome. They also had this amazing pistachio pasta and an excellent house wine that Kara and I shared. It had been the longest day and Pippa and Kate needed a glass of vino. After dinner we strolled home to good old Chinatown, Rome and passed out.



Vino at La Carbonara with Jackie


The castle we passed where Popes used to escape from the Vatican

Pretty bridge across from the castle.



Roma

I leave you my beloved blog readers with a shot of me breaking it down with my best dance moves on the Spanish steps... you can take the girl out of Richmond, but you can't take the Richmond out of the girl :)

No comments:

Post a Comment