Thursday, February 23, 2012

Roma: Part Tipsy


After our lovely afternoon lunch, we were tipsy. Let's just be real here. We all assumed that the mafia restaurant had watered down our pitchers of wine, but after a fit of giggles I am regaining faith that maybe not everyone I meet is trying to rip me off because I am American. We strolled down the tourist strip in and out of souvenir shops and made our way into a wine/spirits store. The owner, who happened to an Italian Asian blend which is now how I identify the people of Rome, saw us taking her free samples of olive oil and bread, and offered us more with red pepper flakes. This means we met our new Roman best friend. After the antipasti, I told her that I had never had lemoncello. Best. Decision. Ever. Then came out the tiny shot glasses. Which if you follow the blog: Betcheslovethissite.com you will know that "betches" LOVE tiny shots. Not the big ones, just little half one. I was in heaven. After lemoncello, we had pistachio-cello (yes this exists and it is AWESOME, then chocolatefudge -cello, then coffee-cello, then some prosecco, then some more lemon-cello, and then I was sufficiently drunk. A lot of girls wound up getting red pepper for their moms, and pistachio-cello... but don't you worry my best friends I DID get you the chocolate fudge-cello which is the greatest thing ever invented... and I know this because I tried every flavor at least once. Mom- don't worry because I know you do not support day drinking, so I saved my souvenir money for Venetian earrings for you. 

First Lemoncello ever!
We loved the lights that lined the streets?



Wine + Italian lights= Homeland



After that we were on a hunt for more (preferably free) wine. We went into a couple more wine shops, but they were not as friendly and generous. Next we decided it was worth splurging for some cheap bottles to split. So, the first panini shop that had wine bottles lining the walls was our target. Using our international business skills, we offered them a bargain. If we bought more than one bottle of wine then they should cut is a discount and give us an extra large empty container of Nutella that they had on display. GENIUS! I know, at this rate I am going to be a millionaire by the time I am twenty-five.

The owner of the Panini Shop and our free(empty)  Nutella container
This seemed like a good idea... pretending to eat Nutella
We also asked the young man who worked in the panini shop where we could go out to experience Roman nightlife near where we lived. We showed him Chinatown on the map and literally his reaction was," oh no no no you do not live there." After we convinced him that yes, seven girls do live there he told us to be very careful and directed us to a nightclub across town that was safe. After his advice we were a little uneasy about our humble apartment, but what is one more night in CHi-town? Right?

Next we took our bottles to the Spanish steps and proceeded to watch the sun go down over Rome and appreciate it for all its beauty. This is when I came up with the awesome idea of practicing our Italian skills by telling every Italian I met that my name was Lasagna. The phrase is, "Mi chiama Lasagna" if you are curious. By the way, I may have had a couple drinks, but as far as I remember they LOVED it... just saying. I also made everyone say formaggio instead of "cheese" when we took pictures. Total Italian immersion people. Mom- my passion for Italian is so strong I have to stay over here for the rest of my life. Surely you sense that I am taking full advantage of language and culture after this story right?
Formaggio! Picture with Spanish step Italian friends... ignore the broken wine bottle. Mi chiama Lasagna...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment