Tuesday, September 6, 2011

BOBS: Rip offs for the greater good?


When I first saw the huge poster of the Sketchers version of "TOMS"shoes, it was so shocking to me how low Sketchers is willing to go to rip of other brands. My first memory of Sketchers ripping off another brand was when my mom came home from the store with my new shoes for the first day of sixth grade. They were shiny, white shoes with a sparkling, blue sideways "S" on the side. Little did I know when I entered the packed halls of middle school that my shoes were an Adidas knock off and the "S" was supposed to be the classic three stripes. Since then, you can compare almost every Sketchers shoe with one of another shoe company. However, to me TOMS was never just "another shoe company." They have started a social movement to get shoes to children in developing nations with the one for one campaign and even expanded to sunglasses. TOMS WEBSITE. Sketchers has not only knocked of the style of the shoes, but the philanthropy concept as well. I understand giving shoes to a child in need is for a good cause no matter who you buy them from... but couldn't we have tried to be a little more creative. I mean really, Bobs?

No comments:

Post a Comment