Friday, September 9, 2011

Thursday: Rainbows, Sperrys , and Tots oh my (head)


I have serious love/hate relationship with Thursdays, but we are not going to analyze my weekend antics here because there is a bigger issue sweeping campus. There is a YouTube video out in the cyber universe of a Freshman at my school bitching about how he didn't break in his shoes and disgracing out admissions department for ever letting him enter into higher education. This video is called "Rainbows and Sperrys Suck." Clever, I know the kid is a real gem. I am going to link the video here and then answer some questions about this kid, and how fate led me to run into him on campus.

These are my personal issues with the video: First, why would shoes EVER have a warning label on them that you need to break them in. You don't have to wear them all day if they are hurting your feet, take them off. Maybe if the shoe claimed that they are so comfortable that they come broken in you would have a case, but I am pretty sure they do not. Second of all, did you never exercise or get a blister in your life? It happens when you wear new shoes, and as a girl I can honestly say I feel no pity for you. Try and wear high heels all day, and then talk to me about pain. Third, his demands are stupid, and if he still has any friends after this video I am sure they would not be caught dead next to him wearing those shoes. Fourth, if you are "trying to be a frat star" you have instantly scored yourself a ticket to NEVER being allowed in any fraternity, ever.

Now here is the story of how destiny brought us together:
I was at a cookout yesterday for my business fraternity on a grassy lawn outside of a dining hall and one of my friends says," Hey that's rainbows and sperrys suck kid!" This causes myself and three other girls to run over to him. I don't know why I did it in hindsight, but at least I can honestly say this kid is a tool. As a student at Virginia Tech the majority of my guy friends want to tackle this kid (or worse) and my girl friends want to forget he exists or ask him what the hell was he thinking (I was in the latter group, but now I am not.) Some basic questions were asked and this is the very disappointing truth.

Q: Are you actually serious about that video?
A: The video was a joke, but the injuries in it are real (the proceeded to show us a nasty blister that covered the bottom of his foot)
My Comments: Wow that's the worst joke video ever, you just look like an idiot



Q: Would you like a to join our business fraternity?
A: I dunno maybe... I'm trying to join Beta or some other frat... but I'd like to if you ladies are in it
MC: This is too disturbing for words



Q: Do you want a piece of pizza?

A: No, I'm trying to loose weight I've gained like 10 lbs since I've been here the food is so good.

MC: How could you gain ten pounds eating RAMEN in your dorm room? And he did eat our pizza anyways


Q: Are you going to be on Tosh.0
A: That's the goal! And I am going to be on ABC tomorrow night! Tech doesn't want me to do an interview, but I say why not it's already out. Virginia tech is really mad at me.

MC: He is just trying to get attention and if he was a real Hokie with a love for this school he would be doing that in a more positive way for our school.


Virginia Tech has to battle stereotypes and negative images every day. It's bad enough that we have no control over the past, but we as students have the chance to make people think of our great engineering program or Hokie spirit when they hear the words "Virginia Tech" and not just tragedies.  I don't want to add on to our negative image with that stupid rainbows and sperrys kid, we are smarter then that and we do not represent that. If you truly love Virginia Tech you would never involve your school in a joke that represents the student body as anything less than great.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! It's your cousin... yes, I'm a facebook stalker. I like your blog :)

    ReplyDelete