Wednesday, September 21, 2011

DADT

Two days ago DADT was repealed and GBLT men and women will be allowed to openly serve in the military. I knew when this happened I had to blog about it, but I needed some time to collect my thoughts and think about what it means to me when I look back at this post. I remember when I was younger watching the Real World: New Orleans and there was a housemate who had a boyfriend in the military and how they blurred out his face when he came to visit the house. I had no idea what "don't ask, don't tell" was, but looking back, this man was protecting his job and life. I was raised in an open family, my mom never allowed us to say "gay" in a negative way and when I was in middle school my mom told me my uncle was gay. I knew what it meant to be gay and it didn't bother me in the slightest. The concept of someone liking men or women when they were of the same sex had no effect on me, I didn't feel hate, sad, or confused. I was taught it wasn't "special," they are people just like us. When my life long friend came out to me over a year ago I was more hurt she never felt comfortable enough to tell me. I wasn't shocked, but I wasn't expecting it. Sexuality is not something I have felt the need to classify in someone. I am proud to say that the older I have become, the more outspoken I am about equality for the LGBT community. Growing up in school I did feel a very strong "right-wing" presence, but my best friends were the loudest in opposition. Being the President of the Young Democrats, a local Democrat politician's daughter, and President of the Gay Straight Alliance are not ways to hide your beliefs. Still, I remained silent and polite in the background even though I too was raised with the same beliefs. I can honestly say if there is one thing I could go back and change about my high school experience it would be to get more involved in the social issues so near to my heart. I wish I could have stood up to those ignorant bullies, participated in the day of silence, and educated myself earlier. Hindsight is 20/20 though, so I have to count my blessings. Change is coming. Gay marriage is legal in New York and the DADT era is over. I remember when I was in 5th grade and my mom voted for George Bush over John Kerry. I vividly remember asking her why she voted for GWB when he did not believe in gay marriage and John Kerry did? My mom told me that even though we believed in that, she didn't think it was an issue that was going to be solved anytime soon. As a little girl, it never dawned on me that even if you vote for something- that doesn't mean it will change. I hope that in this coming election and everyone to come that gay marriage and gay rights ARE important and relevant. I am ready for this issue to be one of the past, and Michelle Bachman for that matter. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment